Would You Like To Volunteer?
OHC is always on the look out for caring and energetic adults who are willing to volunteer their time to help our staff and patients. And we’d like you to be part of our team.
As a volunteer, you will have an opportunity to help us make patient visits more comfortable, more personalized, and less stressful. Because we offer services throughout the Tri-state, you can even choose from among a number of different locations. Here’s some information that might help you decide.
Duties and Responsibilities
Here are some of the ways our volunteers help:
- Assist with office flow of patients
- Greet patients upon arrival to the office/treatment suite, and help them to get settled as needed
- Provide comfort to patients, such as pillows, blankets, beverages, snacks, and even a friendly chat
- Escort patients throughout the suite (if the OHC office is in a hospital setting), as well as to their cars
- Help keep waiting, exam, and treatment rooms tidy (e.g.; pick up used blankets, distribute magazines, dispose trash)
- Help patients get their prescriptions filled (applies to our Blue location which has our specialized oncology pharmacy)
- Provide support to patients in treatment
- Answer questions about OHC’s service and cancer-related community events
- Provide input for office improvements and standards of performance (really, we do listen to your feedback)
- Help with special projects as they come up
What does it take?
Not a whole lot more than your desire and commitment to give back. Other than that, you need to be at least 18 years old and comfortable talking about cancer and cancer treatment with our patients. It’s also important that you’re comfortable working beside patients who are receiving chemotherapy or radiation treatments. If you’re a current patient, you need to be at least three months out of active treatment.
How can I get started?
It’s easy. Call 1-800-710-4674 and ask for our Human Resources Department. Or contact them here on our website. They’ll be happy to talk you through the steps and answer any questions or concerns you might have. You can also get more information here.
If you’re still interested, you’ll be able to complete an application and an interview for this unpaid position. You and your desired OHC location’s site director and clinical manager will discuss a start date. Of course, you’re free to choose the days you want to volunteer.
If you’re still unsure, feel free to stop in any of our offices and talk to an OHC employee, site director, or even an active volunteer (though you should probably call ahead to set up a time that’s convenient for both of you). An active volunteer can give you a first-hand account of their duties and tell you what they get out of volunteering at OHC.
Where can I volunteer?
We accept volunteers at these OHC locations throughout the Tri-state area: