OHC Recommends Pink Ribbon Girls When Cancer Makes Daily Tasks Too Difficult
A cancer diagnosis affects more than your health. It can affect every aspect of everything you do every day.
The cancer experts at OHC are a strong resource for patients and families, providing leading-edge treatments, access to clinical trials, and supportive services like financial navigators, cancer genetic specialists, and other professionals. But sometimes even the day-to-day activities can be challenging when you have cancer such as shopping, cooking, and household chores.
That’s why OHC recommends the services of the Pink Ribbon Girls (PRG), a non-profit organization that provides free services to support women throughout Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton who are battling breast and gynecologic cancers. PRG helps women and their families with some of their daily tasks so they can focus on their families and getting well. PRG helps by providing the following services:
- Healthy Meals – Healthy meals which target the nutrients a cancer patient needs, prepared by executive chefs and professionally delivered to your home
- Housecleaning – Provided by professional, bonded and insured cleaning services
- Rides to Treatment – Provided by trained transportation specialists
- Peer Support – Offering you the support you need in the community you are in
And there are no restrictions regarding age, income or what stage your cancer is.
“It was so nice for me to have the housecleaning services,” said Erica Weast, an OHC cancer survivor who has used PRG’s services. “I have three small kids and knowing the house cleaners would be there every other week was so comforting. I was able to use what little energy I had on playing with my kids instead of worrying about cleaning my shower or mopping my floor. You don’t realize how precious time is until someone threatens to take it away.”
PRG also offer special programs, including:
- In the Fight (Simply Fight) – two months of services to clients currently undergoing breast or gynecologic cancer treatment for non-metastatic cancers.
- Mets Cancers (No Age No Stage) – serves those with metastatic cancers with a stipend of $3000 worth of services to be spent on direct services as needed throughout the duration of cancer treatment.
- Education and Peer Support (Love Your Girls) – education, outreach and support through the PRG’s website, social and print media, public speaking forums, pink game days, community events, coffee talks, and collaborations with other organizations.
“We also utilized the frozen meals,” said Erica, a Bridgetown resident. “They were delivered to my house every Monday and they were amazing. These weren’t your normal frozen dinners. They were meals made with healthy fresh food that were frozen for me. There were many days I wasn’t even able to eat, but knowing my kids had a healthy, easily accessible dinner every night meant a lot to me. Again, these meals allowed me to use my energy on healing and being present instead of worrying about how I was going to get a meal on the table for my family.”
In 2018, PRG served more than 86,000 meals, 2,000 house cleanings and 4,800 rides to treatment to our clients and their families nationwide.
“Having the Pink Ribbon Girls gave me comfort. It provided me with services that allowed me to focus on myself and my family during one of the hardest times of my life. As a mom, my number one goal through all of this was to let my children know that everything was going to be okay. Having Pink Ribbon Girls allowed me to do this – to give my kids a mom who was present and focused on healing. It was just comforting to have support from a group of women who were going through the same thing or had been in my shoes at one time. I’m grateful to have been given these services and look forward to finding ways to give back in the future,” Erica added.
OHC is committed to providing their patients with everything they need to get well, and PRG services provide wonderful support to the treatment and care provided by the cancer teams at OHC.
If you or someone you know is in need of the support services of PRG, we encourage you to visit their web site here and complete the request form. If you would like to be a PRG volunteer or make a donation, please contact Jan at email@example.com. For information about cancer treatment or for a second opinion, contact OHC at 1-888-649-4800 or visit ohcare.com.