OHC is the first and only adult cancer group in the Cincinnati region – and among the very few independent oncology groups in the U.S. – to bring chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy (CAR-T) for adults with aggressive blood cancers, ushering in a new frontier in the fight against cancer.
CAR-T is one of the most exciting and promising cancer treatment breakthroughs in recent years. CAR-T has shown dramatic results, with many patients previously considered terminal now in remission with good quality of life demonstrated for up to five years.
CAR-T is a type of immunotherapy that stimulates the body’s immune system to fight cancer. It uses genetically engineered immune T-cells to recognize specific proteins on tumor cells.
- Thousands of T-cells are extracted from the patient and reengineered in a lab to produce special receptors on their surface that fight and kill cancer cells.
- The reengineered cells are multiplied until there are millions and then infused back into the patient.
- The cells continue to then multiply on their own in the patient’s body. These cells will recognize and kill cancer cells, and help guard against recurrence.
Learn how CAR-T works in this video and the infographic below:
CAR-T provides another cancer treatment option when standard treatments are not effective. Adult patients with relapsed or refractory large B-cell lymphoma who have failed two or more types of cancer therapy may be eligible. CAR-T clinical trials may be available for other blood cancers or solid tumors. If you are interested in CAR-T, please call OHC at 1-800-710-4674.
CAR-T Clinical Trials at OHC
OHC offers clinical trials to evaluate an expanded use of CAR-T so hopefully more patients can benefit from this life-changing treatment. To learn about CAR-T clinical trials, click here and look for trials Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma 17145 and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma 18104, or call 1-800-710-4674 and ask for the Research Department.
OHC’s Team of CAR-T Experts
- OHC doctors are the only cancer experts in the region certified to offer this advanced treatment to adults.
- OHC’s partner, the Blood Cancer Center at The Jewish Hospital – Mercy Health, is fully accredited to treat all blood cancers.
- All staff involved in prescribing, dispensing or administering CAR-T therapy have received special training to recognize and manage treatment side effects and nervous system toxicities that may occur.
|The OHC CAR-T team is led by James H. Essell, MD, who is a leading authority on blood and marrow stem cell transplants. Dr. Essell is a national expert and author who is leading the CAR-T program for The US Oncology Network as its Medical Director of Cellular Therapies. Dr. Essell also serves as the Medical Director of the Blood Cancer Center at The Jewish Hospital – Mercy Health and as a principal investigator for OHC blood cancer clinical trials.|
|E. Randolph Broun, MD, is a leading expert in the treatment of blood cancers. Dr. Broun is well-known for his advocacy work regarding payment reform and his outspoken support for community oncology practices and their patients.|
|Edward A. Faber, Jr., DO, MS, is a nationally known, published leader in the treatment of blood cancers who specializes in the treatment of multiple myeloma. He is actively involved in clinical research and serves as principal investigator for OHC multiple myeloma clinical trials.|
|Miguel Islas-Ohlmayer, MD, is a leader in the treatment of blood cancers and specializes in blood and marrow stem cell transplantation. He is actively involved in cancer research and serves as principal investigator for OHC lymphoma clinical trials.|
4777 E. Galbraith Road, Suite 320*
Cincinnati, Ohio 45236
*Located in The Jewish Hospital – Mercy Health
For more information about CAR-T, please call OHC at 1-800-710-4674.
At OHC, our search for new treatments is relentless. Our drive to provide superior care runs deep. And our fight against cancer is personal. Our independent, physician-led practice is known for delivering clinical excellence combined with unmatched personal and emotional support in neighborhoods throughout the region.
- Renowned experts aggressively attack your cancer with every possible strategy.
- Our nationally recognized clinical trials team is located here in the Tri-state area and engaged in a passionate search for innovative treatments.
- Navigators help you manage finances, understand your disease and gain power over cancer’s impact on your personal life.
OHC has been fighting cancer on the front lines for more than three decades. We are now one of the region’s largest independent oncology practices, as well as the region’s premier source of treatment for nearly every form of adult cancer and complex blood disorder. At its heart, our approach to cancer care is simple – to surround you with everything you need so you can focus on what matters most: beating cancer.