Chemotherapy treatments use drugs to destroy cancer cells. It works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells, which grow and divide quickly. Depending on your type of cancer and how advanced it is, chemotherapy can be used to cure cancer, control cancer, or ease cancer symptoms.
Treatment schedules for chemotherapy vary widely. How often and how long you receive chemotherapy will depend on your type of cancer and how advanced it is, the goals of your treatment, the type of chemo used, and how your body reacts to it.
Your OHC medical oncologist will:
- Explain the cancer diagnosis and stage (the extent of the cancer)
- Develop, discuss, deliver, and direct all treatment options and a recommended treatment strategy
- Work with a multi-disciplinary care team who specialize in different areas of care but work together
- Maintain your quality of life by managing pain and other symptoms or side effects
- Listen to your needs while delivering world-class quality and compassionate care
For more information about chemotherapy and other treatments, call us at 1-800-710-4674. If you are a new patient or would like a second opinion, we’d be happy to schedule an appointment with one of our doctors. If you’re a current patient and would like more information or have questions about your chemotherapy, talk with your OHC doctor, nurse or any member of the OHC team.